Thursday, July 2, 2009

Shifters and Druids

With some careful experimentation and the use of the new Invisible Helm Tool, I bring you this picture.


I carefully put my AC and other upgrades on my gear. Then I shifted into a "polymorph" shape. Depending on what form you shift into determines what item will or won't be used. Those properties get merged together on a "creature skin".

At the time of this picture I am level 6 and have Dozo gear. As you can see, the item properties are there, but not stacking. The four counts of AC only equals +1 AC. As does all the attributes. Each type is list more than once, but can't stack. Four of these properties are part of this Polymorph Shape, Damage Immunity: Fire; Damage Vulnerability: Cold; Immunity: Paralysis; True Seeing.

In the Stats Window, you will see three damage types listed as the main attack. Without a special tool, I can only guess what this means. On monsters that I have built with three types of monster weapons, they all show up just like that. So I am assuming this Polymorph Shape has been assigned three monster weapons, one in each of the three creature weapon slots (3 max).

The other thing I found, is that some Polymorph Shapes are strength based while others are dexterity based. This means that, You the Druid, need to take Weapon Finesse even if, You the Druid are strength based. Taking Weapon Focus in unarmed does raise the creature weapon AB. So, again, you should take unarmed focus even if, You the Druid, are using a longsword.

I have not got into the higher level Polymorph Shapes like the Vampire that gets a longsword or the Minotaur that gets a big axe. It's till unknown to me how the weapon focus will work here.

While in Druid form, rest and buff up. Your buffs will carry over into your new Polymorph Shape.

The basic monster attributes for each Polymorph Shape is being taken from a preset list, probably hard-coded. This list was designed and balanced for low-magic worlds like the stand-alone campaign with Nashar and Arebeth. It is unknown at this time if I can or even should change the Base Monster List. I can probably change the script to combine the Item Properties together so you get the full effect, not just one fifth. This part is scripted. It was actually developed by a user and later adopted by Bioware in one of the upgrades.

Oh, I almost forgot. Don't use the Invisible Helm if you're going to be Polymorph Shape Shifted. The item on your Invisible Skin don't get used. Wear your normal helm and some Polymorph Shapes will use the properties on your helm.

Note to Wizards and other classes that get a Polymorph Shape spell: You should pay attention to what this says about the Polymorph Shape Shifter. Most of this also applies to your spell as well as the Druid.

9 comments:

Blade said...

Hiya Blade here :)

I have just made an UBER Druid.

Shifty ShapeBlade is Monk 11 / Druid 10 planning to be Monk 20 / Druid 10 / Shifter 10.

All went well with the UBER upgrade, until i got Level 22. I am now unable to lvl up as either a Monk or a Shifter :(

The lvl up process fails at the last moment, and you are left to keep trying to get your next level.

As it stands the only thing i could have done would have been to wait till i was Level 40 before taking UBER Druid.

Hopefully something can be done, as my char is effectively broken.

All the Best .........Blade :)

Blade said...

Ok, the problem appears to be that i took Great Wisdom as a Feat at Level 21.

I have fed Shifty Shapeblade to the Shark, and made a Beta replacement at lvl 22.

I am hoping that by taking Epic Weapon Focus Unarmed at Lvl 21 instead of Great Wisdom that this will cure the problem for now, until Q has time to further address it.

All the Best .......Blade :)

Blade said...

Oh Dear, my Beta called Misty ShiftBlade took Epic Weapon Focus Unarmed at Lvl 21 and still cannot get Lvl 22:(

It says that i have taken a Feat/s that i am not entitled too :(

Blade

Qwildurn said...

You seem to be the first to test the UBER Druid. I did not test this. It looked good and the other Uber Classes worked.

I will load your Misty on my test server and see what ticks.

Qwildurn said...

OK - I found the problem. It only showed up on your build because you took Monk with low Strength (typical for a Monk). Monks receive a long list of feats even if they don't qualify for them like other classes have to.

Those two feats are:
- Stunning Fist (requires Wis 13)
- Cleave (requires Str 13)

You have the wisdom but not the strength. I adjusted the script to compensate for Monk. I was able to level-up your Misty with Druid, Monk and Shifter.

I have updated the server and reset it, so all should be good now. :)

Blade said...

Problem solved, ty Q.

I have an observation that i wish to record, not having made a Shifter before on Badlands RPG, if indeed ever lol.

When i shift into a Wildshape 1, a Red Wyrmnling for example, my spells are naturally disabled until i cancel the polymorph. What i did not expect, and is a downside to shifting, is that once i have returned to normal, my extra spellslots on my cloak have all lost the spells i saved on them :(

So polymorphing into some shapes at least is having an effect on the cloak. Maybe Haste is lost too, i must check for this.

Of course it is a relatively simple matter to put your spells back in your quickslots after each shift has been cancelled, and rest to get them back.

Regarding the Haste on the cloak ( if indeed this is effected on some or all Wildshapes ) i am aware of one interesting and little known item in the game. A Ring of Haste can be found by chance in the Fishing Hole (Killer Shark). I had one once, but unfortunately for me at the time, ( I know because i tried ), I was unable to craft up this low lvl Ring with extra Saving throws like Fortitude +5 / Reflex +5 / Will +5 so that it could be used as a replacement for one of the Rings that i would usually wear.

I only mention this in case it becomes useful to have a decent Haste item as a replacement for Haste on a cloak. Even if crafting the Haste Ring were not possible for a player in the game, maybe it could be made with +15 saving throws on it to start with ?

All the Best .....Blade

PS Mephisto's Helm with Haste and other stuff on it actually works out better than a Lvl 22 Crafted Helm on one of my toons at least :)

Blade said...

More on Haste when on your cloak and shifting.

At Greater Wildshape 3, Manticore and Basilisk both loose haste / whilst Drider retains it .

At Greater Wildshape 2, Haste is retained.

At Greater Wildshape 1, Haste is lost.

At Druid Polymorph to Brown Bear etc {5 different animal shapes}, Haste is lost.

Most worryingly for me, as my toon is a Halfling Wispling, with gloves crafted up to lvl 21 in UD {3 Elements 1 d10 and Attack +5}, my gloves become unequipped upon shifting. They then cannot be reequipped after, and hence have to be sold and new gloves bought and crafted up.

So all this discourages the "Shifter" from shifting :(

Blade

Qwildurn said...

When a Druid / Shifter (also known as a Doppleganger) changes form, from Player to Monster, all of their player equipment is unequipped. All of it. That's why you loose your haste, spell slots, etc..

You are then equipped with certain items based on your new form. You are also given a "monster skin" in your "carmor slot". This slot is like an armor slot, except you can't see it or unequip it.

Then, the properties from your Player Items are copied onto your Monster Skin. Different forms (monster shapes) use different items. No form will use all of the items, and, I don't have a list of what form uses which items.

The item properties are not even additive! If your new form uses helm and armor only, and you have AC +5, Str +3 and Dex +3 on each piece, what gets copied over is this:
- AC +5
- Str +3
- Dex +3
- AC +5
- Str +3
- Dex +3

If you could examine your monster skin, it's property list would look exactly like that. Since none of those properties can add, you are left with this value:
- AC +5
- Str +3
- Dex +3
You've just lost half of your properties.

As I said, different forms use different items and I don't have a list. The best thing you can do, is to buy properties in groups of +5, then you will have +5 instead of +3 as you best value.

The weapon your monster form uses may or may not get some or all of your weapon properties. In general, Monk Gloves don't count as a weapon and you will probably be seen as unarmed and not transfer those properties. Possibly, a Great Axe would be a good idea, as it can hold the greatest amount of properties on BadLands.

Haste: There is a drop known as "Shape Suit" which does have haste on it. It is chain armor I believe. This was made just for the Shifter.

This is yet "one more example" of the lack of balance that the stand-alone game has when turned into an "online-multi-player" environment. In the stand alone game, we had very low-level items as compared to BadLands. You didn't have much to loose and it was offset by the new monster qualities.

The good news is that almost all of this "item transfer" is scripted and and can be adjusted.

The bad news is that it's really intense scripting and I'll probably never change it.

If you or anybody want the names of the scripts, I can provide them and you can fix it. If it still works, I will add it to BadLands.

In the meantime, the Dye Guy in Dozo can examine your monster skin for you. Knowing exactly what is on that can help you adjust your gear better.

I have made a new tool for the Player-Monsters I'm working on. It's called, "monster tool" LOL and I can give it to your shifter. This should help see all of the special monster slots. I have to be on as DM in order to give it to you.

Qwildurn said...

Ok. I did the impossible. I changed how items are transfered. It's a big enough of a change that I started a new topic,
Shape Changers, Dopplegangers, Shifters and Druids