Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Server is Down, Again

The server has failed again. This time it's beyond reasonable repair. It seems to me that a multi-IO board has failed. This board controls the Input-Output (IO) to the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I don't know if it's part of the main-board or a separate unit, but, every part of this computer is unique to this one model and I can't bypass it or substitute it.

The computer is about ten years old and has been the primary host of BadLands RPG for the last five. I have tried other computers in that time, for one reason or another, and keep coming back to this unit.

I did make a copy of the game module, player characters and database a few weeks ago. So we won't be loosing too much this time. I only have one working computer now. It's nothing special, but it should do the job.

Hopefully I can have it set-up and online in a few hours.

2 comments:

Qwildurn said...

I have the game module back online now.

I'm using my only working computer. I have it hosting the web page as well. It's just a regular PC, not a robust Dedicated Server with four Xeon processers like before. I think I got my $400 worth of use out of that last server. It originally sold new for about $15,000. Now it's just scrap. I owned it for about six years, five of which it host BadLands.

No doubt the server will br laggy when I log in to play the game (graphics). When I'm not playing there probably won't be any lag issues. (more than normal)

alcoatari said...

Qwil, I would like to thank you for your continued efforts to keep this server going. It really is a unique environment, and not just to badlands.

The depth of space and vast areas render many of my toons to shivering piles of agoraphobia stricken jello. That is to say, there are a lot of leveling and different build friendly options. Very appreciated.

I know, at least it seems from the posts, that you are always trying to improve the server, and as a writer, I would offer my services if you would desire any story driven quests. It is, after all, an RPG server.

Alcoatari