Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Server is Down

The server failed last night. With some choice swear words I coaxed it back into life and logged back in to hoping to resume where I had left off. My new favorite toon, Black Belly, was damaged and the server shut off before I could let out an Orcish grunt.

To surmise the situation here:
  1. My laptop is dead and the shop wants $1100 to fix it. Not going to happen! I will try to extract any files I can, but.... I don't expect much.

  2. My newer server (Dell) is waiting for me to re-install the OS and related software. That will take a few weeks when I can find the time.

  3. My older server (SGI) is probably gone forever. I will try to extract any files I can, but.... I don't expect much.

  4. My nice gamer is non-repairable and I have purchased a new mainboard.

  5. My old gamer is fixed and working well as of last week. I can set it up to act as a server-host, but as of this moment, I don't even have a copy of BadLands RPG to host.

  6. I might have a copy of BadLands RPG on my girlfriends computer. Deimonos might still have a copy. But basically we're hosed. I will do what I can.

Qwildurn Bluemoon,
server host of BadLands RPG

9 comments:

Qwildurn said...

The server is up and online now. I did make a copy of everything important allready. I don't know how stable the server will be.

The toon I was playing when the server crashed "Black Belly" was damaged and has fattened up the Shark. There were about six players on at that time. If you toon was damaged, I will replace it.

Don't delete it and don't play a damaged character until a DM is on to help you.

All other toons are should be good still.

extomorf said...

In what way was he damaged?

Blade said...

Hiya Blade here,

I was playing online with you when the server crashed, I just logged in and checked my toon Reaper, and i cannot detect anything amiss.

I will try to solo a bit, and keep a close eye on her. I will stick to this char for now.

All the Best ........Blade :)

PS It may help others to describe the damage to your Black Belly ?

Qwildurn said...

extomorf said...
In what way was he damaged?

Answer:
Black Belly was a level 39 Ogre and became a level 1 human that was invisible. I fead him to the shark and started a new Black Betty, but the server kicked me saying I already had a toon with that name.

I will manually clean the database later.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck.

Unknown said...

I checked the server just now and it seemed dead as can be. Any news or is it still 'just unstable'?

Qwildurn said...

It "seems" stable enough. I was on most of the day yesterday along with 6 to 10 others. I used the reset lever in the Beta Room and that worked.

I just woke up and saw Pyro's message, checked the server to find 3 players on.

Maybe my IP changed and your favorite can't list it now. Gamespy has allways been wierd. It does not allways show all the servers.

You could try setting up a Desktop Shortcut. By using our web name instead of an IP, you will always be able to log in.
Use: qwildurn.game-host.org
The full instructions are in a sidebar link. The Desktop Shortcut

Deimonos said...

Or just let the gamespy server screen load and look for the server on the top rows... noobs

Qwildurn said...

Deimonos said...
Or just let the gamespy server screen load and look for the server on the top rows... noobs

Qwildurn said...
Gamespy has allways been wierd. It does not allways show all the servers.

By adding a Desktop Shortcut you can skip all the menus and movies. This will start you at the user logon / password screen and be one click away from your BadLands RPG character list.

Unknown said...

Right. Now I'm not one to start bitching like mad when the server crashes every once in a while. But this evening, and now about 2 mins ago the server crashed... again. For the THIRD time in 3 hours!
The crash before that was only an hour ago at best. Once again, I'm used to teaching 6 year old ADHD driven kids how to teach guitar but this is even starting to wear down my patience.