Friday, June 20, 2008

Resistance is futile

Very, very futile. Here's why:
Last night I logged on to do a little territory claiming for the Arcane Brotherhood. Surprisingly, there was no one on when I logged in. After claiming a few territories with my gnomish wizard, I brought in a different legendary character (Elric Darkfyre) to take a shot at Meph. I had noticed that Terry logged on, but didn't pay much attention to it. Big mistake! After trekking to Highland Island, I stepped inside the cave only to find Borg Master waiting on the bridge for me. Now, Elric has a very respectable AC of 92. After pausing for a moment with a dumbfounded look on his face Elric was promptly planted on his ass. After the initial surprise wore off, he scrambled back out the door to enact a few battle buffs only to walk back in and get put back on his ass. For a minute, Terry thought I was death logging, but I was only ducking out the door to drop a greater restoration and rebuff. (*by the way, death logging is for pussies and okis, and I will NEVER do that. NEVER. If my PC's go down, they go down swinging*). Well, eventually Terry figured out was I was doing and ran out to finish the job. Being the gentleman that he is, he raised Elric, after which I groveled at his feet. Not since Darian would get bored (or pissed (or both)) and drop Bruce on me have I been obliterated quite so badly. Getting slapped around like a red-headed step-child can do wonders for reducing one's ego. I know I wasn't the first to be "assimilated" by the Borg Master... and I have a feeling I won't be the last.

(side note: what are the odds that two PC's would run into each other in the vastness that is the Badlands??? I'm not saying that Terry cheated, I'm just saying that Borg Master may have had a slight tactical edge :-p

10 comments:

Simon Hawk said...

"Tactical edge" LOL, those things are nice if you're the one receiving them. :)

Simon Hawk said...

Borg Master is indeed tough-as-nails. But Hellie told me he's hung like a Tic-Tac.

Jim Brannick said...

What? Hellie Layne had sex with Borg Master? Dude, I know it's Badlands "RPG", but I think you two crossed the line.

Simon Hawk said...

ROFL!!!! I didn't meant it that way but hey. You'll never get a true GAMING experience until you've RP'd HOT medieval sex with fictional characters with a random person online who's just PK'd you.

Borg Master may be a brute on the outside, but deep down he's a very gentle and caring individual.

Terry17 said...

Resistance if Futile...
You will be Assimilated.
*************************

We do have an advantage.

All your knowledge and uniqueness is incorporated into the collective when you are assimilated...

Fair warning, Borg Master is pure Chaos, and may attack without warning, but he will raise you after the fight. Because then, you are part of The Collective...

Claim a life for The Collective.
It's a job you will love.
**************************

Garble said...

Hmm let’s see to regularly hit AC 92 with his first attack lets assume he needed a modified AB of 82.

So….

30 is the Max BAB at level 40
+20 is the cap on AB
+ 5 is what you get from feats (WF, EWF, EP)
55 AB is your max before attributes

So that means he had +32 from strength which requires a 74 strength.

20 is the highest strength you can get with Half-orc
+ 4 for a sub race
+10 from attributes
+ 8 from RDD
+12 from gear
+12 from barbarian bonuses
+10 Great Strength
+10 More in post epic

= a strength of 86 (+38 to hit and damage and a 78 DC for dev crit.)

Anyone know a build that loads all that into something that’s still playable?

Deurack said...

Your math is impressive, but flawed. The "+20 AB Cap" is not in affect on Badlands RPG. To test this, simply get some Cleric to cast a bunch of buffs on any character that can cast "True Strike" on himself. You'll see that "True Strike" will give him the full +20, not a number that is 20 - the amount given by the cleric buffs.

I hope that's not too confusing, but trust me, the +20 AB cap is not in affect.

Jim Brannick said...

When it comes to the +20 cap rule, I think the character sheet lies. For example, I have a Cleric/Bard who can cast a ton of buffs and add a melody for an extra couple AB. The sheet shows his buffed AB to be 69. But if you check the battle spam, it's a different story... first attack is 67 + roll. Not sure about true strike (don't really have a lot of builds that use it) but I think it counts towards the cap.

BTW, Borg Master had curse song enacted which lowered Elric's AC by 5 points, essentially dropping him down to 87 AC (or giving Borg +5 AB, depending on how you look at it).
Also, Borg is not a dev critter. The way I understand his "Boss Killer killer" is that it's made to mop the floor w/ PM builds. Hence, dev crit is useless.

Deurack said...

I stand corrected. The +20 AB bonus cap IS in affect, I just tested it in game and it made me sad.

Your Character sheet will show you getting a full +20 AB from True Strike, but if you look at your attacks in the 'Battle Spam' you'll see that you dont. If you look at your "Base Attack Bonus", add your buffs, +4 for feats, + any ability bonuses, that's what you'll see as your attack bonus in the Battle Spam.

That's the long version of saying that the +20 Ab cap IS in affect, and I was wrong. I just tested it in game, and it made me sad :(

Terry17 said...

The History of Inspiration

Before I ever played online, I decided to see how high I could get the AC on a level 40 build. Made a monk, bard, PM. I got the AC up around 104 by level 40, but he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

A few weeks back, I was trying to fight something with a high AC, and could only hit it 1 out of every 20 swings. This guy had decent AB, but some of the Bosses have Insane ACs. I thought about my Monk with Insane AC, and then I wondered if I could do something similar with AB. Ignore everthing but AB and see what happens. Thus was born Borg Master.

I didn't skip Dev Crit because PMs are immune to it. I skipped it because those feats didn't add to my effective AB. I only get 13 epic feats. 10 great strength (big surprise there, Epic Prowess and Weapon Focus (another surprise), and one optional (non AB) feat. Couldn't really see how to fit in much in the way of nifty stuff.

A reverse of the downside of that old monk, Borg Master is easy to hit, and easy to cast spells on.
At least until he knocks you down...